Welcome to the Faculty of Science
Learning about nature and society is an amazing journey of adventure – so join us on this journey and let’s discover the world together. At the Faculty of Science we strive to find answers to some of the most fascinating and complex questions connected with science and the world around us – and we’ve achieved some remarkable successes as part of this never-ending quest. We have inspirational teachers who create a friendly, supportive environment for our students to ask questions, seek answers, discover new knowledge, and learn more about the world in which we live. We offer outstanding facilities for learning and research, and we always seek to guide our students’ professional growth in a broad range of fields related to biology, physics, geography, chemistry, informatics and mathematics. We cultivate close links with prestigious partner universities, top scientists and academics – and of course with the many international students who visit us and help to make us such an open, inclusive learning environment. It is our mission to support cooperation which transcends all geographical and disciplinary boundaries, working together to develop our knowledge and skills and nurturing a future generation of experts across a range of fields.
Teaching and learning
- the seminar and lecture groups at the Faculty are small – students are not just numbers, but receive direct individual attention from tutors
- Master’s students are actively involved in our ongoing research projects via the University’s student grant system, and doctoral students have the opportunity to pursue their own research interests
- we offer a wide (and constantly expanding) choice of courses taught in English
- we regularly organize special lecture cycles and intensive workshops featuring leading Czech and international experts
- we emphasize interdisciplinary approaches – integrating natural sciences with social sciences, technical and medical fields of study (biomedicine, regional and urban development, climate change science, mathematical modelling in natural sciences, applied informatics, fuzzy modelling, environmental technologies)
- we use a range of modern teaching methods including e-learning, our YouTube channel and the iTunes University
- we offer excellent technical facilities and equipment for teaching and research in IT, biology, cartography and geoinformatics, chemistry and physics, including multimedia conference halls and a renowned botanical garden
- we offer a pleasant environment for studying and leisure
What to study
The Faculty of Science offers a wide range of degrees at its seven departments: the Department of Mathematics, the Department of Physics, the Department of Informatics and Computers, the Department of Chemistry, the Department of Physical Geography and Geoecology, the Department of Biology and Ecology, and the Department of Human Geography and Regional Development.
Exchange students can study the following subjects (or combinations of these subjects):
- Analytical Chemistry
- Experimental Biology
- Systematic Biology
- Applied Informatics
- Information Systems
- Applied Mathematics
- Political Geography
- Cultural Geography
- Economic Geography
- Regional Development
- Physical Geography
- Cartography and Geoinformatics
- Environmental Modelling
- Landscape Ecology
- Teacher Training
- key research areas at the Faculty include zoology and molecular biology, geomorphology and geoinformatics, biophysics, a broad spectrum of mathematical disciplines, applied informatics, solid state chemistry, and economic/political geography
- we cultivate close cooperative links with international partners across four continents
- we have achieved excellent research results in many fields (including studies published in the journals Nature and Science)
- our international research teams are involved in prestigious European projects including Horizon 2020
- the Faculty has several renowned specialist centres of excellence – the Institute of Environmental Technologies, the Life Science Research Centre, and the City and Regional Management Centre
- our researchers carry out high-quality fieldwork and laboratory research in biology, biophysics, chemistry and geography
- we are a venue for major international conferences, workshops and congresses in biology, geography and chemistry
- we collaborate with transnational companies and regional authorities
Why study at the Faculty of Science
- We involve students directly in our research projects from Master’s level upwards, ensuring that students are fully acquainted with the latest knowledge and trends.
- We organize one of Europe’s oldest and most prestigious European mathematics competitions – the Vojtěch Jarnik International Mathematical Competition - http://vjimc.osu.cz/
- We enable students to pursue their own individual research interests as part of our doctoral degree programmes, and we offer motivational grants for students conducting research at the Faculty.
- We involve students in our community activities – educational and leisure events promoting science and research.
- We offer unique opportunities to take part in field trips and expeditions (biology and geography).
- We offer a wide (and constantly expanding) choice of courses taught in English.
- We have achieved world-leading research results in numerous fields, and many of our graduates have gone on to pursue successful careers both nationally and internationally.
Connect with us
Faculty of Science
University of Ostrava
Internal and External Relations Department
Vice-Dean for Internal and External Relations
RNDr. Tomáš Drobík, Ph.D.
Phone: +420 553 46 2117
Faculty Erasmus+ office
Mgr. Lukáš Laš, Ph.D.
Phone: +420 597 09 2113